Jammed!!!!!

Man, I am stuck in a traffic jam... What a block, I have been stuck in this for 30 min now....When will we stop having traffic blocks......If only we had wider roads.......If only we had flyovers.....Once the metro is finished.....

The ordeal that we go through everyday without a solution, and this is not about any city, town or place in particular.  What is the perfect solution? I firmly believe that to find the solution to the issue we need to find the cause of the issue or rather causes to the issue of Traffic block.

Some causes that I could think off
  1. Lead by example : It is important to lead by example. Folks in authority should take it as a personal commitment to ensure that their vehicles follow every traffic rule. At home if the parents are irresponsible and not accountable for what they do, almost always the children follow their footsteps. It is essential that every individual drive their vehicle with responsibility and accountability, with an extra care when their children are around. Yesterday I say the fiery look in a small boy(about 7-8 years) who was sitting on the petrol tank of the motorcycle( ;-) so much for saftey) that his father was driving----- there was a massive traffic jam for vehicle traveling towards chittoor from kacheripady.  I was traveling towards Kacheripady and this side of the road was pretty empty, taking this chance most of the two wheelers started using the emptiness to their advantage. I had to literally keep honking to ensure that the two wheelers give way. This particular biker was in no mood to give way and so I had to apply brakes and sound the horn, which is when I spotted the look in the eyes of the boy, although his father had a taunting smile as he slowly tried to merge along into the line of vehicles, and again he was not wearing a helmet. And we blame the youngsters for rash driving, however we forget that it is "We" who instilled this rashness in them from childhood!!!
  2. Two wheelers: I have nothing personal against two wheelers, I also used to drive a bike, and that is exactly why I am 500% confident that two wheelers almost always create traffic blocks in their aggressive way of trying to get through narrow spaces. The other tendency is to somehow squeeze yourself to the front of all the waiting vehicles at the traffic signal and then the mad rush as the signal goes green and in the process the bigger vehicles are slowed down or stuck.
  3. Follow Traffic Rules: Traffic rules are not time bound. They are applicable always. So in the middle of the night if the traffic signal is Red, we need to stop and wait till it turns green, and not jump the signal because there is no other vehicle on the road. The same is applicable during the day time, even when a cop is not there. I have observed numerous occasions when vehicle ply on in the opposite direction on a one-way road. There are times when the vehicles are of people in very responsible positions.No one is above the law, atleast that is what I believe.
  4. Traffic Signs : Traffic signs are to be displayed appropriately. Old and faded traffic sign's should be removed or replaced. Traffic signs should not create confusion for motorists and pedestrians alike. I have noticed traffic signs depicting Vehicle speeds to be very confusing, for eg. while driving one comes across a sign saying speed limit of 60 km/hr and within the next 50 mts another sign which says 30 Km/hr, which is the right sign??
Some Standardizations for towns/cities
  1. Bus terminals / Transit stations : Every major town / city should have a Bus terminal/Transit station located at the outskirts. This is where all long distance buses reaching the town/city will halt. Within the town/city only circular services should operate. The Bus terminal/Transit station should have excellent parking facility for vehicles. There should be an option to leave the vehicles parked for more than a day.
  2. Bus Terminals for city/town circulars: To be located at specific points eg. shopping area,  commercial areas, residential colonies etc.
  3. Multi Level Car Parking(MLCP): MLCPs to be located at various places within the city/town, manual or  automatic.
  4. Flyovers: Flyovers at critical junctions, both within the city/town and also at intersections of State highways.
  5. Roads: Roads need to well maintained with clear markings. Speed bumps should be well designed and consistent across.
  6. Traffic Signals: Smart signals are required that can automatically adjust the signal time based on no. of vehicles waiting at the signal, or based on vehicle density during the time of the day.
  7. Traffic Signs: Needs to be clearly visible and un-obstructed by hoardings and advertisements!
  8. Penalties and fines: I read recently about a survey conducted and raising the amount for penalties and fines. I just feel that every traffic offense should be recorded and tagged to the individual/organisation. Based on the number of times an offense has been committed, the penalty imposed should be a combination of money, community work and the possibility of revoking the license. The offense information needs to be linked with the driven vehicle's history. The vehicle history information can be used by insurance bodies to ensure that they charge a high value for a vehicle that has a bad history. Now when it comes to driving license, I think we should do way with the current methodology of testing, and make it more practical. Issue a driving license which has varied levels eg. a basic license wherein the license holder can drive within the city/town, a next level for driving between cities/towns, and a national level where the person is authorised to drive on highways and expressways, with a minimum 6 month interval between each level of qualification. Pedestrians are required to be penalised for jay walking or crossing roads at un-authorised locations.
Well that's all that I can think of right now. Now is this possible, wont it cost a lot of money, how practical is this..... IT IS POSSIBLE!!! Each of us needs to start working on this. The roads are not in a video game, and nobody gets more than one life, unlike the video games. The cost is certainly a factor to consider, however if one takes the total of the recurring costs for road repair and other stuff, I feel that this one time high investment is worth it. The roads and road network of our city/town/country is like our own nervous system! Think of the measures that we take for ourselves.
disclaimer:All views expressed are my own and can be crazy at times, for I believe that Perfection is created by being imperfect....
Share:

No comments: